Over the past twenty years, the Standard DS-1® has evolved from a simple drill stem inspection standard to the global reference for manufacture, design and inspection of drill strings. The Fourth Edition, slated for publication in early 2012, will further expand DS-1 to incorporate an additional volume dedicated to specialty tools, and offer significant updates for the existing volumes. As drilling technology changes, T H Hill is committed to providing the best in technical standards to service the industry. We are currently seeking other industry leaders to be a part of the DS-1 Fourth Edition sponsorship group and guide the content of the Standard.
What are the obligations as a Sponsor?
Remit the sponsorship fee and participate in the Steering Committee meetings. You will also review the proposed content and drafts.
What are the benefits of sponsoring DS-1 Fourth Edition?
Each sponsor receives:
- A seat on the Steering Committee which oversees development of the standard.
- One hundred volumes of the standard
- 15% discount for public training courses for DS-1 Fourth Edition.
- Discounted price on purchase of additional volumes
- Prominent recognition at the front of each volume
To view or download information on DS-1 Fourth Edition and sponsorship, click here, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Major enhancements for Standard DS-1 Fourth Edition:
- Volume 1:
- Align DS-1 Standard Level requirements with API Specifications 7-1 and 7-2 including addition of HWDP and stabilizers.
- Add section on hardbanding including material selection, geometry and application.
- Volume 2:
- Incorporate Connection Fatigue Index ("CFI") for drill collar connection selection based on relative fatigue performance. (IADC/SPE 112105)
- Add section on Landing String Design.
- Add dimensional and load capacities for new NWDP, TWDP and proprietary connections.
- Volume 3:
- New procedures to cover hardbanding (re-application and inspection) and tool joint build up.
- Expand dimensional and visual inspection procedures for new proprietary connections.
- Move seven procedures covering Specialty Tools to Volume 4.
- Volume 4:
- Add Volume 4 to DS-1 to address the unique requirements for qualification of specialty tools.
- Incorporate Standard STC-1 and portions of DS-1 Third Edition Volume 3 to establish requirements for design, inspection, assembly, function testing, shipment and use of specialty tools.
- Provide requirements for qualification of selected tool families.
Click here to purchase or learn more about DS-1 Third Edition.